Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Our Invisible War

The documentary is eye-opening.  And you would think by now that my eyes are opened!? Yesterday I watched "The Invisible War" about sexual assault within the military.  Horrific reality about the system set up that keeps perpetrators empowered and women silenced and victimized. 

How were my eyes opened?  I had a revelation: why are we surprised?  This dynamic of a system that keeps perpetrators empowered and children silenced and victimized exists everywhere a child is sexually assaulted. 

Sex abuse typically happens within a structure of authority.  The person assaulting the child is usually a person who has authority over that child, i.e. parent, coach, pastor, babysitter, teacher etc.   And to whom does a child reveal?  Someone close to that person in authority.  And what is the typical reaction?  Denial, silencing, investigations that lead nowhere, puny penalties, re-victimization, lack of support and help for the victims.  The military is only playing out what is happening in our backyards and next door.

In the documentary, several of the sexual assault victims filed suit against the military.  The court came back dismissing the case saying, "Rape is an occupational hazard of the military." 

It is no different in our neighborhoods - "Sexual abuse is an occupational hazard of being a child."

It is time to speak up, own up and STAND UP!  Join our movement as we shift our cultural thinking!
www.standup300.com

6 comments:

  1. Wow...being raped is an occupational hazard! I am speechless but I will use my voice to share this blog and to tell people they matter and I care what happened to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so true. Thanks for speaking up and drawing the correlation. You know I will speak up anytime I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Rebecca. What a good correlation. We will keep yelling wherever we can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so appreciate your comments. If we can shift the system from deep inside we can shift this entire mess. I'm dedicated to finding the answer! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If rape is an occupational hazard then they should be fined for failure to post hazards. Also religious criminology because of immoral acts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog Rebecca through the group we both belong to on LinkedIn

    Your posts are wonderful. I m going to add you to my blog roll on my blog at VIGALAND: COMING OUT FROM UNDER INCEST as you have much wisdom to share with my visitors. Like you, I am fervent in my belief that we must get victims talking, especially the children who are victimized over and over by their own families who keep everything hushed up. As you asked in one of your pieces, why do we not believe what the child says and support the abusing adult instead? Such a deplorable situation that only awareness and education can change. So glad I found you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete