Monday, September 23, 2013

I Don't Understand

It is so deeply embedded in who I am, I have no idea how not to feel it. How not to live out of it. It both haunts me and drives me. It is core to me. "It" is the presence of injustice in our world coupled with the depth of the battle required to shift it.  It pains me to see injustice!  It rips at my heart and gut to see any destruction and disregard of people.  It rips at my soul to see so few people step up to stop it. It confounds me!  I don't understand!  How is it that we, "the people", allow any kind of disregard and destruction of others to continue? My eyes fill with tears at this moment because I don't understand! 

Last night I watched the movie "Lincoln" and wept as I saw the burden he carried about the issue of slavery.  I wept because I recognize that kind of burden.  I know the call to a burden for a disregarded people. I know the opposition he faced. I also know the cost of that burden. 

I don't understand why people aren't outraged at the presence of sex abuse in our culture.  I don't understand why we passively accept it.  I don't understand why we are comfortable with "risk management."  I don't understand why the resources I need to do the battle aren't in my grasp. 

I'm willing.  Always have been.  I've put myself in the thick of it.  I get it.  Not everyone has the stomach to be on the front lines.  But where are the troops to support those of us who are?
I don't understand.

4 comments:

  1. I'm there with you, Rebecca. It is a burden we carry and there is so little support. We have to support each other! I pray for the resources we all need to do that which we cannot ignore. Yes, someone has to step up to the plate, to be on the front lines, and to call what is evil for what it is. I don't understand the placid response on the part of our society, either. It is time to give our world a shaking by collar and wake this sleeping people up. Thanks for the part you are playing in it, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way but I don't know how to help. I want to help others heal, to fight this injustice. Sometimes I feel like I am going to explode if I hear another tale of how abuse was covered up and how someone innocent suffered. As someone who experienced abuse I've felt called to bring awareness to the problem, but also stymied by the fact I am not a counsellor or social worker. Maybe it's just plain fear on my part. I'm really grateful for the work you do with Connections. I've done intake and read a lot of books, but not been able to participate in group therapy or a seminar. I really need to sort this out, clearly we need more people to stand up for justice and for sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Misa, thank you! I know you carry the burden as well. I believe we are on the verge of waking that sleeping giant. I remember two years ago reading your thoughts about victim survivors rising up! It will happen - and we will hug each other in joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alana, stay tuned! You don't have to be a social worker or "professional". You are absolutely on the right track - we have to stand up for justice and sanity!

    There is a rumbling and a gathering happening. Watch - because soon there will be in place a structure to help us move against this. Thank you for responding!

    ReplyDelete