Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Authentic Identity is SO Important!

Once, years ago, someone I respect turned to me in a playful respectful manner and said, "You just love being a thorn don't you?"  I've chuckled over that statement many times and enjoyed it!  Because honestly, that is part of my authentic identity.  I was created with a side of me that loves to push against the status quo and challenge people with new ways of thinking.  I don't do this to be mean; but to bump people into new creative possbilities for themselves and our world.

That's why I work so hard to advance the thought of restoration.  Restoration is not just a fresh word to be used to replace the words of healing or recovery.   Restoration is a pathway to reconnect to authentic identity - to connect to all you were created capable of being.  It indeed goes beyond the recovery model.  And it is hard work for sure!

My authentic identity includes my skills, talents, passions, personality, quirks, purpose and hopes.  I am not what has been done to me!  I am not what others assign to me!  I'm not what others project on to me! It is so important to clean off these assignments and beliefs and walk out of authentic identity because the aspects of the authentic me are exactly what I need to fulfill my purpose!  Now you tell me, if I didn't have that "thorn" part of me, would I be able to do the work I do to address the issue of sex abuse?!?  Don't think so.
http://www.beyondrecoverytorestoration.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment